Saturday, May 23, 2015

BESTIES: Empowering women


I SECURED my own copy of the talk-of-the-town book, Besties, last month (Thanks to Mr. J :) ) and I was deeply moved by its contents. 

At first, I thought the book is just about the personal stuff in the life of the two it-girls: fashion, make-up, love life. Then as I browse the pages when I got home, It's more than that. 


*************************
The "It-girls" grow up


The book has 169 pages, with a few excess pages of course, written by the "it-girls"---Solenn Heusaff and Georgina Wilson, also known as Sos & George. It was wrapped in tight plastic when I grabbed it from a book stand. I paid 195 pesos at the counter and it's all mine. :)


#bestiesbookclub :) 


"You think you know, but you have no idea..."


Celebrities like Sos and George never fails to fascinate me, their perfect hair and make-up, toned bodies, stylish clothes and wonderful life. I have a handful of names written on my fave celebrities list---and these two ladies are included. 


Basically, I wanted to know more about their life in the spotlight. However, in this book, I found respect beyond their "it-girls" tag. 


SOS & GEORGE can be described in a very simple word: FAB.


The book is filled with pictures of the Besties themselves. It is a conversation-type style, wherein Sos & George exchange thoughts about certain topics. In nine (9) chapters, the girls discussed with pure honesty and confidence the truth behind their perfection as celebrities. 


Chapter One is my favorite chapter, where they dealt with the most amazing yet self-esteem shattering word for every girl that I know: Confidence.


Super candid shots! Solenn is really wacky :)


The fact that they posted pictures about their photoshopped bodies and no make-up faces were honest evidences that they are just one of us---girls with flaws and imperfections. It is true that as you grow older, you'll tend to accept that you're not perfect and eventually love yourself as it is. In the past years, I struggled with many insecurities, to the point that I become too hard on myself! It's as if I wanted a complete overhaul of my entire being. At present, I think I become mature enough to accept the real me and love myself even more :)


To all the bashers: You're so perfect guys! *sarcastic* LOL!


Haters gonna hate, forever!

Why spend your precious time with haters?! You should be focusing on how you can improve your current self. But I guess there should always be moments of self-assessment, take a look at yourself---see if your bashers are somehow telling the truth or just plainly voicing-out their own insecurities to you. :)


Dealing with bullies! Remembered a few during my highschool years..haha!


Finding your own personal style invloves experimenting...

If I am to plot my own fashion timeline, I'll be very happy on my drastic improvement! Even now, I have my good and bad days. Well, I'm more like Solenn who prefers a comfy wardrobe rather than a sacrificial stylish attire. But I always see to it that the clothes fits me well and at the same time looks fashionably acceptable to others.


The clothes that we wear defines us, so we must be very careful in choosing the right pieces. I've known people who doesn't even think before they sport an attire and I'm recommending this book because the two girls shared several fashion tips and hacks that are very useful. :)



Makeup is a tricky art...

Most of us girls enjoy the wonders brought about by wearing makeup. Yes, it masks the imperfections and makes us more confident with how we look. I think all celebrities, especially models, have the perfect features that makeup only enhance. But I was really surprised when I saw that me and George (as well as Sos) shares common skin dilemmas!


There's nothing wrong with wearing makeup, and personally I think that it is a must (esp. for grown-up ladies) because it boosts self-confidence. The tricky part is on how to apply it just right, without looking like a drag queen after..hehe. Chapter three of this book provides an excellent primer on makeup 101, of course with the makeup artist herself---Solenn Heussaff. :)


Be Proud. George is still pretty with or without :)


"Healthy doesn't have to mean bland" - Erwan Heausaff

I'm a certified gastronome and I'm at my best whenever food is around! And because I'm also a nutritionist, I can be very conscious on my food intake. I love that Sos' brother, Erwan, shared excellent recipes and amazing life diet rules! (He's one of my favorite blogger, thefatkidinside.com)


Don't settle for the common flavors, experiment and try different foods every now and then.


Tried the ultimate smoothie, it's like heaven :)


"A little sweat ain't never hurt nobody"

I've been following Sos on instagram and I'm so impressed on how dedicated she is in keeping her body fit. I personally can't go to the gym on a regular basis, it's quite pricey too :( Good thing they included a detailed exercise routine that is very easy and can be done in the convenience of our own home.



Addicted to squats and planks :)


"Travel is the only thing that you can buy that makes you richer" - Anonymous

I'm always conscious about spending too much on a trip that I end up cancelling plans for it. It's just sad that travelling is always second on my to-do list! But as I read the Besties travel rules, it gave me an urge to wander more often, It's really good to travel with family, even exciting if done with friends!


Always travel in style :)


The recipe to a happy salary!

I'm a poor saver, especially during my first two years of working. Luckily, I managed to open a savings account. I keep that account for super emergency stuff only (I pray they won't happen) and for future things...you know :)

It's good to know that even those people, like Sos and George, who earns a lot really bothers to save their earnings. It doesn't matter if your salary is small, as long as you have the determination to do it!



As your salary increases, your expenses build-up too!  :(


It's your own body, so be responsible for it...

I'm raised in a very conservative environment, I cover my eyes in every kissing scenes -_- (what a shame)

Well that was before, I think my parents trust me a lot now, especially when it comes to decision-making. I also believe that I can handle myself, that I'm mature enough to make good decisions and judge situations better than normal young adults. I love how these two girls shared their thoughts about love and sex. People judge them as 'bitches and whores' because of the life they're living, but actually they are not like that---they do what is right and they respect their bodies.


Learn when to say 'yes' and when to say 'no' :)


"You know you've landed a real friend when you can get through difficult things with them" - Sos & George

At last, timeless friendship :) It's a struggle for me to find the real one. I'm a moody person, with weird interests and a bitchy mouth (say things straight and with no apprehensions). I have a couple of super close friends who stood by my side through very rough times---and I love them *cries* I have moments that I get jealous when a friend talks to someone instead of me (esp. on important stuff), which I really want to change.

Sos & George's friendship is something to admire, because they set such a good example. I hope they'll keep on inspiring women in the future!


The pretty ugly and the princess of whales---they are so lovely!


I also have my own bestie :) I don't know if the feeling is mutual, but what I know is that as of the moment, she's the only one (aside from Mr. J) who can bear with my 'weirdo' personality. I'll definitely miss  her soon :(

So madam, if you're reading this post, I love you so much and you'll always be my super friend! I'll be always right here to support and kick the asses of those who will try to piss you off! Haha! Stay meldi ---it's our little secret!


With my Bestie :) @jam_red


It's not too late to grab your own copy girlfriends! Be empowered, Be proud to be a woman!

Always be the best version of yourself :)


Much love,

--Miss G.


***all photos taken form Besties book by Solenn & Georgina***

_________________________________


Thanks for reading! If you want to ask or share something, feel free to post a comment below :)

You can FOLLOW ME, leave a message or tag pictures of your own experiences!

Facebook:  Mary Grace Amparo (https://www.facebook.com/marygrace.amparo.52)
Instagram: @iam_msgrace


No comments:

Post a Comment

VISITORS

OUR TRIBE!