Friday, May 22, 2015

Being a "Ninang"


I NEVER IMAGINED that being a godmother can be as thrilling as this :)

It took me almost 24 years to finally experience what is it like to have an ina-anak. Several years ago, I was asked by a highschool classmate if I could be one of his daughter's godmother. And because I'm not that close to him and don't even know his wife personally, I refused to accept it.

They were saying that it's 'malas' or bad luck on my part, refusing to be a godmother to a child. But for me, being a godmother is more than the title and the material things that you can give to the child. It's a big responsibility, which I'm sure I still can't handle that time.

In this post, i just want to share my thoughts on how my first godparenting experience made me realize things and achieve self-fulfillment.

Keep on reading :)


*******************************


My first ever godchild is this super cute baby girl---Baby Naomi  :)


#babylove :) She's always happy and playful, loves to stretch her arms & legs and when she smiles--her eyes disappears!


My second godchild is this handsome baby boy, Baby Zach :)

#handsomebabyboy :) The son of my former student, and I think he's quite big for his age---big baby!


At first, I was sooo nervous, I don't have the slightest idea on how this 'Ninang-thing' works!

Questions haunt me like:

Should I give them expensive gifts every now and then? Should I always be physically present, observing them as they grow? Should I take part on major decisions concerning them? (I think that so intrusive) Or should the title remain as it is, and just be visible on special celebrations like birthdays and Christmas only.


I THINK she'll grow much like her ninang, a total fashionista!


Before the naming ceremony (Baptism), a church personnel briefed us about our roles as Ninangs and Ninongs. Good thing they have that, because is there such thing as a complete guide in godparenting? <I think google can give us something to start with tho :)>

And as I perform a new role in my mature life, I started to realise several things that I want to share with you :)


#1 Make sure to love the child as if she/he is your own son or daughter.


WITH HER MOM. Baby Naomi, or yomi, is the second niece of my boyfriend, that's why I get to see her quite often than Baby Zach.


# 2 More than his/her godparent, you should be a friend---one of his/her support system.


THAT FACE :/ She loves to play and meet new people. Her game of choice---Hair-tugging  T_T


#3 See to it that as he/she grows, you're able to guide him/her to be a God-fearing and morally-upright individual



SERIOUS BABY ZACH. I hope someday, I could visit Zach more often, especially during his growing stage---listen to his stories and share my personal experiences with him, so he could learn from them.


#4 As much as possible, be physically present.


MY NEW SELFIE BUDDY. I'm pretty sure that I could watch over Baby Naomi as she grows, because she's living near my place. *sigh* I hope I could to that with Zach tho.



#5 As his/her godparent, you should be a role model---in words and in actions.


WITH HIS MOM. I admire this strong lady so much, and I believe she'll raise her child well. But I promise to play my part in his life story too---more closely in the future. :)



Whew! Being a Ninang is really not a simple thing. There's so much responsibility anchored in that title. But I guess, nobody can ever go wrong by following a simple rule: Love your godchildren :)

I'm expecting more inaanaks in the future, haha! But for now, I'll focus with these two awesome creatures ^_^

Are you also a proud godparent? Share your stories with me, I'll be happy to hear them :)

Pretty ninang here,

--Miss G.


___________________________________________


Thanks for reading! If you want to ask or share something, feel free to post a comment below :)

You can FOLLOW ME, leave a message or tag pictures of your own experiences!

Facebook:  Mary Grace Amparo (https://www.facebook.com/marygrace.amparo.52)
Instagram: @iam_msgrace



No comments:

Post a Comment

VISITORS

OUR TRIBE!