Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Lessons learned from Miss Universe 2015 pageant


DECEMBER 21, 2015. I woke up early (I normally don't, especially if there are no classes, no work) just to catch the telecast of Miss Universe 2015, which is live via satellite. Oh yes, I'm such a fan of beauty pageants! I love girls who strut their stuff and prove to the world that they are beautiful, intelligent and with a good heart. 


Besides, this year's pageant will be a lot different. I'm eyeing our pride, Ms Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, as the next Miss Universe---my hopes are all in her. So I sit back, relaxed, and enjoyed the show. 


For some reasons, this yearly showcase of beauty, wit and confidence do not really stay with the people for a long time. For almost 40 years, (42 to be exact) we haven't snatched the crown back to us again. So after knowing who's the new queen, will just celebrate briefly (because most of the time we land on the runner-ups) then go back to our own personal businesses. 


But for this year, it was a hell different...

Miss Philippines, Pia alonzo Wurtzbach.

As I watched the pageant reach it's conclusion, my heart pounded wildly. I guess I'm very confident with Pia's answer in the Top 3 Q&A portion. She should win the crown.

Being the Miss Universe is both an honor and a responsibility. I will use my voice to influence the youth. I would raise awareness on causes like HIV. I wanna show the world, the universe rather,  that I am confidently beautiful with a heart.

And the moment that we've waited for arrived, finally. 



Miss USA bagged the second runner-up title. I'm trembling, while posting statuses on Facebook. This is our time, This time, the crown is ours. But when Steven Harvey announced this year's queen, my heart melted...literally. Miss Columbia took the center stage and waved to her fans and supporters. 


I don't know, but I guess I can't accept that we, Filipinos, were defeated...again. But I'm pretty sure that Miss Philippines is more deserving than Miss Colombia: the confidence, the attire, the answer...everything was close to being perfect. As the reality swallowed me, I accepted it, teary-eyed. 


But then, after several minutes, Steve Harvey announced something that changed the plot of this year's Miss Universe pageant. There was an honest mistake.


Miss Philippines did it. She is now Miss Universe 2015 ^_^


********************************


If you are active in social media, this plot-twisted-pageant-drama was all-over the virtual world. Yes, the Filipino people rejoiced, We've waited for this moment for a very long time. But for the others, it was an embarrassing moment that they will never forget.


I wanna share the following thoughts about this twisted story. I think all of us have learned a few things about this year's Miss Universe 2015 pageant. 



"It is always a test of personality and character"

A competition, though friendly as it may seem, is still a competition. The girls go there, compete with each other, with a single purpose: To win the crown. However, the true nature of a person can be seen the moment he/she losses a certain battle. How will that person accept his/her defeat? 

As the turn of events took place, the different personalities of the candidates flooded the event hall. I personally believe that Miss Columbia, although broken by the shameful announcement, should have initiated sportsmanship and just accepted her defeat. I'm not saying that she shouldn't cried? but of course, she should've shown to everyone the true attitude of a beauty queen. 

On the other hand, I'm so glad for Miss Philippines, because she managed to think properly during the entire duration of the competition. I don't know if she was trained for that, but she held herself with pride up to the end. She was also very sensitive with the other girls, especially Miss Columbia---makes me admire her more. 

As for the other girls, all of them has their own opinions but I guess Miss Germany failed to keep her thoughts under her sleeves. But I'm so proud with the other girls who sympathized with Miss Colombia and at the same time rejoiced with Miss Philippines. :)

A priceless photo. Kudos to all the girls who celebrated with Pia :)


"It takes  a real man to accept mistakes he has committed"

Steve Harvey is not a nobody in the 'hosting' profession. But I guess everyone, because we are all humans, will commit mistake---that's inevitable. But for him to admit it in front of the camera, with all the millions of viewers watching the live telecast, that he did something wrong was bravery. Definitely, he has the balls for it. Now, he needs to face the self-proclaimed human beings around the world (duh) as they criticize him and make him feel as the most stupid person to end the year. (that's human nature, pathetic)


The most awkward moment in MU 2015 pageant.


It should always be 'I will be' and not 'I may be'

I can relate so much to Pia and her struggles in order to make her dreams happen. She tried and failed three times for the Binibining Pilipinas title, but she never surrendered. In the end, she emerged as the grandest winner. 

I even love her tweet after the unsuccessful fight of Manny Pacquiao:

Kalma lang guys, babawi tayo sa Miss Universe!

See?  If you will only claim it, in God's perfect time, you'll be able to achieve your dreams :) 

This shot captured everything :) Congratulations to us Filipinos, we won!


**********************************

In the end, with all the tweets, IG posts, Facebook statuses that swarm over the internet, one thing is for sure: The Miss Universe 2015 pageant, which had concluded a few days ago, will remain in us...for a long time. 



Confidently beautiful, with a heart...




*photo credits: lifestyle.inquirer.net / dailymail.co.uk / latintimes.com

3 comments:

  1. special day before special season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I agree to that ^_^ Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
    2. Yah I agree to that ^_^ Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete

VISITORS

OUR TRIBE!