Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Chasing Dreams: My PAL Experience


"You never failed because you never tried"

It is a dream for me to become a flight attendant. However, I wasn't able to pursue it right after college because I knew that I'm not yet ready. Flight attendants are almost close to perfection, and I believe that I'm not even close to being one. Recognizing my flaws, I worked hard to improve myself. After learning how to put on makeup, improving my skin condition, and building my confidence... I finally decided to try my luck.


I want to fly the flag, so I applied at PAL...

...and this is my bittersweet story :)




THE BEGINNING

One rainy afternoon, I went to their office at PNB Financial building (Macapagal Blvd, Pasay City) and submitted my curriculum vitae. That was a Friday, and I was nothing but hopeful that they'll call me soon. To my surprise, I received a text message from them, Tuesday morning. After a few minutes, I found myself answering questions from a lady on the other line, who later scheduled me for an impact interview. I was given only two weeks to prepare for it so I spent my time seriously preppin' up: reading blogs, buying clothes and makeup and treating my pimples and scars. 

Finally, the day came and I was so ready (I believe so): wearing my black blazer, black knee-length skirt, white collared blouse, red lipstick, red nails, pearl earrings, skin-tone stockings and my hair in a neat bun. I projected a composed, confident, and happy image as I arrived at PAL HR's office. 


THE IMPACT INTERVIEW

It started at 8AM, there were 26 applicants inside the room (including me). However, the tension weakened my knees, I began to lose my spirit. Most of them are very pretty! We were required to submit our transcript of records, CV, and 2x2 picture. After a while, two beautiful women entered the room and we finally started the heart-pounding screening. 

We were called one by one, randomly, to deliver our 2 to 3-minute speech (simply tell something about yourself) and walk straight to them so they can check our smile profile. One by one, each of us enjoyed our share of that moment to stand in front of everyone. After the last applicant, one of the interviewers called several names who were instructed to get a piece of paper from them and read the result outside.

I think my heart stopped for a few minutes. 

And I didn't heard my name.

Out of 26, there were 8 applicants who remained inside the room (including me! yay!) one boy and the rest were girls. We are about to face the second round and they'll be scrutinizing our entire being. Again, we were called one by one, were asked different questions and checked our arms and face for blemishes and scars. After everyone was done, they called a name and the rest were asked to sit near them (the interviewers). 

I was one of the 7 applicants who passed!


"Congratulations! You passed the impact interview!" I can't believe that I made it through that five hours of nerve-racking interview! I'm so happy and thankful :) They gave us tips on how we can even look perfect for our final (panel) interview. But before that, we need to pass the initial medical and different exams. Still a long way to go, but thank God I survived the first step! 

We took our lunch and returned at 2 pm for our initial medical. They checked our height, weight, body frame and eyesight (vision check for color blindness). The requirement is at least 5' 3 height for girls and 5' 6 height for boys; weight must be proportional to height and 20/20 vision, not color-blind. I passed the initial medical, but sadly, only 5 of us remained (out of 7 who passed in Impact interview).

Though I'm so tired and exhausted, I went home happy and contented :)


THE EXAM (Profile XT and BMAA)

The Impact interview happened on June 15, 2016 (Wednesday), then I was scheduled to take the exam on June 17, 2016 (Friday). I looked for online IQ tests and run through each the whole day of June 16.

The location of my exam was at Ortigas Center and was administered by Profiles Asia. It is divided into two parts: the first part is composed of numerical, verbal and abstract reasoning. I think I was given only less than a minute for each question which made it quite difficult, I was so pressured that time! You have to pass this part in order to proceed to the second part. 

Fortunately, I passed :) so I was directed to the second part of the exam. There was no time limit according to the psychometrician, but I finished mine within an hour. The second part of the exam was composed of long series of questions, basically a combination of Math, English (vocabulary and grammar), Logic and Personality questions. When I was done, I left the office and was told to wait for the results next week. 

I waited for a week before I received a text message from them, instructing me to call their office. I called and was informed that I passed the exam :) I was immediately given a schedule for the Integrity test. 

Note: This step (Integrity test) is new, because I haven't read anything about it from the previous blogs.


THE INTEGRITY TEST

According to my research, an integrity test is simply an honesty test. I found a few samples online, which I tried just to to be familiar with it. 

The location of my Integrity test was at Universal Motors Building (Chino Roces Ave.). The test was a bit confusing and each question has a time limit. I used a computer in answering the questions. I just trusted my instincts and answered truthfully (somehow..*smiles*). Again, I've waited for the results. 

It was Friday when I took the exam, and the results came two days after---I passed! 

The HR lady on the phone delivered the most heart-pounding news, I was scheduled for an Executive Panel Interview (EPI) on Thursday, June 30, 2016. 


THE FINAL INTERVIEW (EPI)

They've given me two days to prepare, but I was so worried because of my hormonal acne (I always have them before my period), my skin was not at its best. 

I just tried to remain calm and conceal all the blemishes along my jawline and chin. I woke up so early on the day of the EPI, so I had a lot of time to prepare. I decided to put more makeup (than what I sported during the Impact interview) for a more polished look. 

I arrived at the PNB building an hour early. I know that they will just ask us a few personal questions and read a spiel, so I was not really super nervous. However, I was the last applicant to be called, and I've already waited for three hours, that's why I'm not feeling very well as I entered the room...

...the interview went well. I was also asked to remove my blazer so that they could check my arms.

As I walked out of the room and returned to my seat, I can feel that I'm about to finally achieve my dream, because after this will be the full medical and training---then, I can already fly the flag. 


But then I heard my name was called. I was instructed to enter the room again and was told that I didn't passed the EPI. Maybe you're also wondering why? Me too. I don't even know what to say, but the HR lady told me that it was just about my makeup, it looked "mataray" in front of the panelists, and also, I failed to hold my smile during the interview. 


My hands were shaking as I tried to push the door of the HR office. I immediately went to the comfort room and recalled everything. I didn't cried, not yet. I texted my parents, my sister, my friends (Henry and Ana) and called Mr. J. It was beyond the word "sayang", because I've been through a lot. The words I've written here cannot describe all the sacrifices I've made just to reach the last step of the application, but still, I failed...I failed in chasing my dream. 



To be honest, I don't want to share this experience because it was such a shame on my part. I'm not good in accepting failures, because I rarely fail. There are a lot of people around me who believed that I would make it, but sadly, I didn't. I guess there will also be people out there who would say "you deserve it, buti nga", and they are one of the reasons why I hesitated in bringing this story out. 


It was like a heartbreak, it's like you've lost a valuable thing in your life. But that moment when I keep on blaming myself, thank God I have my family and friends---I survived because of them. They keep on telling me that maybe it was not yet my time to be a cabin crew, or maybe there is a greater opportunity waiting for me and I just need to believe in Him. I don't know if these things are true...but I always believe that He has better plans than mine. 


Right now, I don't know why he made me experience this whole thing, yet fail in the end. Maybe to share this story with you, my readers (if I have any...hehe) so that you'll somehow realize these things too:



1. There is no single person who never fails, but one cannot always fail either.

2. Failures humble a person, it's God way of saying "Hey, you still need me".

3. God's plans are always the best, all you need to do is to be patient, wait for the right time. 

4. In every experience, good or bad, you'll meet people who are destined to be a part of your life. 

5. Those who experience failures are those who always chase their dreams---so don't give up!


Since day one, I prayed for the success of this endeavor. Though the ending was not what I've expected it to be, I'm still happy because a lot of great things happened to me as I struggle with this mishap: I've realized that I have the best people around me, my family and friends, who didn't even doubted my chances of succeeding in the future. 


Others have tried seven times just to receive 
their wings, so I won't give up!



If you've reached this far, well thank you for reading the entire post. Being a cabin crew is really not an easy thing, the application process seem to be a long shot for me again. But still, I would like to thank everyone who supported me, I cannot mention all of your names, but your warm hugs and best wishes are enough for me to move on and seek another great perhaps. But if you're one of those who is now happy that I failed in chasing my dream, don't worry, because I believe I'll be able to achieve it---so stay tuned, because I'll fly soon! :)


If you have questions, don't hesitate to post a comment below and I'll definitely answer, to the best of my knowledge :) 




Keep on chasing your dreams!


39 comments:

  1. Hi ms! This is Gela, one of your former student in DLSUD. Your story inspired meee. ❤️ Now ms, I am your fan! You're brave and kind po, I know you can do it. Goodluck po to your oplan: Chasing my dreams. ��❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Oh my! You're making me cry 😭 well, happy tears of course! Thank you for the support! Don't worry, I won't stop sharing my experiences 😊 Chase your dreams as well! God Bless!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice read.. thanks ms.g (: i enjoyed reading your blog. While reading your post, it seems that im on the scene hehe
    God bless on your chase of dreams and im looking forward to read your success on your PAL experience 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by! 😘 I'm so happy because you enjoyed reading this post. I'll continue chasing this dream for sure! Have a great day ahead!

      Delete
  4. Hi Miss G! I'm a student in lasalle po (turning grade8) your blog really inspired me to not give up and that I have to continue on moving forward and I that i should believe in what I can do... Goodluck po, Hope you pursue your dreams po♡ God bless po :)
    -Diana Thomas♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diana! Thank you sooo much!! :) It's good to hear that my blog inspired you :) I know life can be really tough at times, but if you just trust in Him and believe in yourself, for sure, you are bound to achieve great things in life! Just don't give up and don't mind the negative words others may throw at you...Go ahead and be the BEST that you can be! ---Miss G

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ms. G! I didn't know you had aa rough time chasing your dream this time. No worries there's bigger opportunity to try on. Try other carriers. Not just the PAL. SAUDIA is a good one. I have 2 students flying on Saudia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Yup,I went through a lot but still failed in the end...but still, my hopes are high that I'll make it next time :) I've heard of SAUDIA already! and yes, international airlines are far better. Maybe I'll try then :) Thank you again!!!

      Delete
  7. Hi good thing i came across to ur blog it was so inspirational it was such a shame that i failed the integrity they told me just to be honest in answering the question but i dunno what happened :( are u still planning to reapply if i may ask :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cymbelline! Sorry for the late reply...Thanks for reading! Don't be so hard on yourself, you can still try again :) As for the Integrity Test, Yes, you should be honest, but I suggest that you should answer the questions as if you're a cabin crew already. They would definitely notice if you're lying, but of course, you must somehow learn to "filter" your answers :) Still, maybe it's not yet the right time for us. Hoping to fly with you soon!

      Delete
    2. and oops, yes! I'm gonna try it again :) but since I've reached the EPI, I still need to wait for a year before re-applying. Maybe, just maybe, there'll be other great opportunities while I'm waiting for it :)

      Delete
  8. Hi good thing i came across to ur blog it was so inspirational it was such a shame that i failed the integrity they told me just to be honest in answering the question but i dunno what happened :( are u still planning to reapply if i may ask :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ms. G! I am going to take my Integrity Test soon, just waiting for my schedule. Your blog is really helpful, thanks sa tips and sa detailed story mo. Im just wondering, do you think marami bumabagsak sa Integrity Test? Medyo bothered ako.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DJ! I'm sorry for the late response... actually I can't say if there are a lot of applicants who failed in this part (Integrity test) but what you need to know right now is how to pass it. Just be HONEST but not too much. Always think like a cabin crew, that'll help for sure. Calm yourself and arrive on time. Make sure you read fast and respond fast as well. In the end, if it's meant for you, you'll pass & will get interviewed after a week :) Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. Hi mam! Pati po ba armpits chinicheck nla? Hndi kasi ganon ka perfect ung akin. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Reomy :) No, they won't check your armpits. Besides, you will not wear a sleeveless blouse as a uniform :)

      Delete
  11. Hello ms. Gee. I read your blog just now. You are truly an inspiring person. I just passed my impact interview with PAL, its just the first step, i wish and pray i would be able to get through this process successfuly. Keep on dreaming! Never stop. You can always retry 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dreamer! :) Thanks for dropping by! I hope you'll be successful in your application, update us :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Dreamer! :) Thanks for dropping by! I hope you'll be successful in your application, update us :)

      Delete
  12. hi grace, thank u for sharing ur experiences. it was such heart warming but yet very inspiring..i just want to ask if having crown (jacket) on my front teeth and pimple marks have already no chance for their qualifications? i meet all of them except for two things i mentioned..thank u grace in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kai! Thank you for dropping by :) Regarding your question, I guess as long as the pimple marks can be concealed they'll be fine. Moreso, if the crown is not that obvious I believe they won't mind it. :) I hope these help, Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. Hello Kai! Thank you for dropping by :) Regarding your question, I guess as long as the pimple marks can be concealed they'll be fine. Moreso, if the crown is not that obvious I believe they won't mind it. :) I hope these help, Good Luck!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason! Actually, I was having second-thoughts before publishing this post, but good thing I did 'coz I've somehow inspired dreamers like you to chase their dream and to never stop believing that one day, we too will earn our wings :) Answering your question: I believe that for males, the height should be 5'6 and above. Yes, they are very strict with their standards. I suggest that you personally submit your CV at PNB Macapagal (PAL's office) so it can be processed faster (just like what I did). Go ahead, chase your dreams!

      Delete
    2. Hi Jason! Actually, I was having second-thoughts before publishing this post, but good thing I did 'coz I've somehow inspired dreamers like you to chase their dream and to never stop believing that one day, we too will earn our wings :) Answering your question: I believe that for males, the height should be 5'6 and above. Yes, they are very strict with their standards. I suggest that you personally submit your CV at PNB Macapagal (PAL's office) so it can be processed faster (just like what I did). Go ahead, chase your dreams!

      Delete
  15. My heart broke when I read the part where you failed at the EPI, but it also inspired me to never give up if ever I fail. I'm glad I was able to read this. I finally have ideas on how the application process goes. I'm planning to apply this August 12. I hope you reach your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erikha! Thanks for reading :) Go and chase your dreams! Best of luck tomorrow :)

      Delete
  16. Hello po Ms grace ask lng po kailangan po b english speaking sa pagpapakilala ng sarili at sa pagsagot po sa mga interview? Or I mean need po nila fluent in English? Thank u po ng marami :) at pwd po malaman ung formal attire na dapt isuot? Pwd po b ung long sleeve polo for girls? Salamat po.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan! If the question is in English, then you must answer in English :) You must be a little bit good in communicating in English because it is part of their requirements. As with the formal attire, you may wear a white collared blouse (short sleeves), black blazer and black pencil skirt. Good Luck!

      Delete
  17. Hi Ms. Grace, do they consider people with moles on their faces? I have one that's visible and I worry that they might suggest it to have it removed. Also, I have these scars on my knees that were visible too.. chinecheck din po ba nila yon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cannot really tell unless you try. If they recommend, then have them removed. As with the scars, yes, they do really check. Just conceal them as much as you can for the meantime, or use scar reducing creams. Good luck and God Bless!

      Delete
    2. Thankyou po! Ive been worrying for a long time now and i couldnt bring myself to try and let them see it first before I take action. Pag pp ba nakita nila, would that mean I'm out? Bc these are keloidal scars and it's almost impossible to conceal them. 😭

      Delete
    3. It will always depend on their preference. If they really like you, they can just advise you to have it removed. Try first so you'll know :) However, sometimes they really don't tell the reason why you're out, so if in case that happened, you k ow what to do. You can do it!

      Delete
  18. This is a lovely story! I've been searching for a clear and detailed blog about applying for PAL and finally-- your story pop up while browsing.Thank God. Anyway I'd like to get an idea, what was your previous job before applying for a cabin position? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for dropping by 😊 I am a teacher po at DLSU

      Delete

VISITORS

OUR TRIBE!