Monday, February 15, 2016

HELP! I'm Procrastinating!



THESE PAST FEW WEEKS, I’ve been using this term excessively. Yes. I completely turned myself into a procrastinator. I’m not sure yet, but I believe that this thing changed my forever-enthusiastic self into an I-will-do-this-later person.


I tend to be overly conscious with everything that I do; I would always beat deadlines days ahead before it rings the bell, I would organize my schedule every time so I could accommodate more things and accomplish more. I am a freak when it comes to self-evaluation, I don’t settle for good, but only for the best. And how come these things happen? How come I became a lazy bed potato, ruining everyday with my idling tendencies?


Of course, after being splashed with cold water, I woke up from this dream of never-ending deferment, which led me to a journey of finding the solution.


I googled the term (though I already know the meaning of it) hoping the search results will show me helpful articles about it. Besides, the best strategy to deal with an enemy is by being familiar with its roots and everything related to it. So the definition came up, which basically tells me that “yes, you are really procrastinating because you tend to delay doing what is needed and focuses on something that is less important.” Then, articles about “How to stop procrastinating” and “Why you procrastinate and How to stop it” showed up. Then I decided: it’s time to flush this thing out of my system and regain the usual me, again.


But the great question is: Why do we really procrastinate? Simple, we get too overwhelmed by the tasks on-hand that we resort in doing something which will allow us to forget about the stress embedded on those tasks. If I am required to finish a report or a presentation, I will often open my Facebook account and browse endlessly. Yes, I was able to escape that brain-racking moment for a while, but at the end of the day, I would drag myself again to accomplish those tasks. What is the bad thing about this kind of routine? I don’t really get rid of the burden, because I’m just adding weight to it.


And so, I decided to do some readings and follow the tips laid by different people. Luckily, I’m now starting to bury my “procrastinating-self”: six feet under, cold ^_^


******************

Let me share these quick tips on how you can stop procrastinating and be more productive!


1. Create a detailed TO-DO LIST and stick to it

It is very important that we guide ourselves as we work and accomplish different tasks. Organizing things will allow us to focus on each task one at a time, thus, making the work less stressful because the tasks don’t pile up. This technique will also allow us to monitor our undertakings and manage our time so that we can still enjoy some “free time”. Always beat the clock and stick to the deadlines!


2. Heavier tasks first, lighter tasks later

Our energy has its limitations. So whenever we fell like finishing a pretty hard task, we should give our utmost energy on it. You need to stop rescheduling a difficult errand and putting the simpler ones first on the list, because this will surely eat up your energy. First things first!


3. Turn off interruptions

Don’t be too busy doing things that you don’t need to do in order to avoid the things that you supposed to do. Stalking your favorite band won’t help you if your goal is to prepare for an exam. If you need to accomplish something that involves your computer, don’t open your social networking accounts, like Facebook and Twitter, they will surely diverge your attention. If the music being played on your iPod makes you groove and sing-a-along, I don’t think you need it, especially if you’re beating a deadline. Focus on the track, no detours please!


4. Select a procrastinating-free environment

If you are too comfortable working while lying on your bed (I’m guilty of this crime), get up and go somewhere else, because tendencies are you’ll be too relax to mind the things you need to finish and end-up sleeping, or you’ll allow your mind to wander off and get trapped. Be comfortable enough to let your mind and body work at its best, but not to forget that you are on a race with tick-tock.


5. Involve other people

Let others know what you’re up to. Involve your friends and family; tell them what you’re working at and what you’re trying to accomplish as of the moment. In this way, you’ll be forced to give them some updates, thus, pushing you to work harder and faster. Sometimes, all we need is someone who will monitor us, especially if we lack the initiative.


6. Evaluate yourself before the day ends

Lastly, see to it that you’ll track your progress. This will challenge you to do better each day, because you’ll be able to see how productive you are. Don’t forget to reward yourself of course!


*********************


You don’t need external motivation. All you need to have is a routine which will allow you to develop the habit of perseverance, hardwork and initiative.


So next time that you feel like you're going to procrastinate again, just remember these tips and think of how precious your time is! 


Ooops! I still need to do some office works, tehee! bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment

VISITORS

OUR TRIBE!