Monday, October 8, 2018

My First Gel Nails at Sundrops Day Spa



"One thing you can get into shape without exercise, are your nails"


I just felt the need to share this experience, since it was my first time to try gel nails. Well this might not interest you (especially if you wear gel mani or pedi on a regular basis), but I'm sure you'll learn something from this post *wink*



So what are you waiting for? Read on!





It was a very fine afternoon when I decided to have my nails prep up at Sundrops Day Spa (SM City Bacoor), in preparation for the Skinpotions Dream Party. Not really in my plan to try an expensive nail treat, however, the manager caught me off guard with her beautiful spiel---so I gave in. Next thing I knew, I was already scanning a board full off fake nails, in different color. 





Okay, so I opted for a package deal: gel manicure + gel pedicure + foot spa, for only PHP1500. For me, it was already a good deal, because most nail salons would offer it for a higher price. 



My session started with the foot spa, which I absolutely enjoyed (and I know they had a hard time with my overworked feet!). After that, two ladies started working on my nails; one on my hands and the other one on my feet. They both gently cleaned and prepared my nails, and made me forget to take more photos! (sorry) 


I chose two colors of gel polish: a nude pink and a glittery pink (not sure if that's correct). A base coat was applied first, then followed by the first coat of the gel polish. I noticed that after each coat, they would place both of my hands (and feet) under a nail lamp. It was after a total of 4-5 coats before they brushed a top coat on my nails, and I'm done. 






And oh girl, I love the result! It was so shiny, so polished, and so dry! (overacting, again) Because usually, I must wait for at least 15 minutes before I put my slippers on and leave; or else I'll ruin my fresh polish. And when I observed it closely, my nails become so hard, which is pretty much a good thing because I will no longer worry about them getting chipped. My gel nails lasted for at least 3 weeks, though the manicure gave up first (due to constant washing, soaking, etc.). Overall, I was so happy I even told myself "You must wear gel nails forever!"


But that changed after a few weeks. 






Gel nails are definitely stunning, really. However, when I saw the condition of my nails and cuticle after the removal of the polish, I got so scared. My nails looked brittle and my cuticles were dry. From there, I decided to have my nails cleaned only, and skipped nail polish for at least a month *sigh*



Now, will I try it again?


My answer would be YES.  I have done a little research about it, and here are some tips that I can share with you:

  • Do it occasionally. Like all good things, you must learn how to enjoy gel nails moderately. Use it as a reward, or just for a special event. Because aside from the fact that it may weaken your nail beds and cuticle, it can also be quite pricey (which is not practical unless you are a Crazy Rich Asian). Also, frequent exposure to UV (the drying process make use of UV lamp) can be dangerous to your health (make sure to apply sunscreen).
  • Look for a trusted nail salon. And when you find one, stick to them. Don't be shy to examine their gel polish brands (look at the ingredients, some may contain harmful chemicals like dibutyl phthalate, toluene and formaldehyde) and ask questions. You may also want to watch closely on how they remove gel polish. Remember: It must not be scraped.
  • Take care of your nails. I know your nails are "dead" to begin with, but your nail beds and cuticles are alive, thus need extra care. So better invest in a tube of nail cream, ASAP. 






I know how to clean my nails and apply polish, well most girls (even boys) do! But I'm no longer doing this stuff on my own, since I know that professional nail care is always better, based on experience. But, we must also be careful in trying out new things. That's why it is always good to read, research and ask first. These nail salons will definitely encourage you to try their services, but shall never educate you on the pros and cons. So be smart!


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post, sorry it has to be this loooong again! Please do share your gel nails experience too, or some questions if you haven't tried it yet. And oh, I did love the aesthetics of Sundrops Day Spa. They have great staff and awesome packages! Will definitely visit again soon, who wants to come with me? :)





Life is not perfect, but your nails can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment

VISITORS

OUR TRIBE!